About the Office of the City Clerk
The City Clerk's Office is responsible for maintaining the City's official records.
Besides serving as a clerk for the Mayor and Council, the City Clerk is responsible for the following:
- Prepares agendas for all scheduled meetings
- Prepares and maintains minutes for all official meetings of the Mayor and Council
- Serves as the records management officer, providing unrestricted access to public records, code books, and documents; maintaining records; processing open records requests; and preparing reports as required by other government agencies
- Accepts and processes applications for occupational tax certificates
- Accepts and processes applications for alcohol beverage licenses
- Accepts and processes applications for all permits
- Coordinates the Records Management and Retention Program
- Prepares Notices for Publication in the city legal organ, "The Champion Newspaper"
- Serves as the City Election Qualifying Officer and aids in coordinating elections and complying with federal and state guidelines and laws on elections and voting rights
- The City Clerk will be the contact for qualifying candidates for city elections.
- Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals, such as the City Administrator, department heads, elected officials, DeKalb County agencies, state agencies, and the general public.