Skip to Main Content

Historic Lithonia

Lithonia, Georgia, Established 1856

The City of Lithonia traces its beginnings to an area called 'Cross Roads' in the early 1840s. There were 100 residents at the intersections of the two roads connecting Decatur and Augusta, as well as Lawrenceville and McDonough. In 1856, the City of Lithonia was established. The city is surrounded by granite and its name is credited to a teacher of Greek combining lithos (stone) and onia (place).

In the weeks and months ahead, our archivist will expand our online historical collection of photographs and documents on Lithonia. (In partnership with The University System of Georgia's Virtual Vault and The Dekalb History Center.)

Snapshots of Lithonia's History

Bruce Street School Bruce Street School
Flat Rock Historic Church Flat Rock Historic Church
Main Street Main Street
Johnson Granite Company Johnson Granite Company
First Baptist Church First Baptist Church
Bruce Street School Johnson Granite Company
Lithonia's Womans Club Lithonia's Womans Club